Advantages of Lattice Towers
Design and detailling
- The capacity of latticed tower members and connections can be described by relatively simple formulae.
- Modeling and design is relatively easy.
- Deflection of guyed lattices towers will be much higher as compared to self supported towers and monopoles.
- The dynamic overall behaviour of lattice towers is ideal for wind turbines.
- The configuration of latticed towers can be easily adjusted to accommodate several electric circuits and various types of conductor configurations.
Tower cost and fabrication
- Monopoles are generally more costly than lattice angle towers due to higher cost of plates.
- Monopole requires specialized plate bending machine with high capital cost.
- Lattice towers using angle sections are very easy to fabricate with quick factory setup.
- The thickness of monopole plate increases rapidly with tower height and loads.
- Galvanization of monopole sections are much difficult than angle sections.
- Lattice angle sections can be bundled as per available capacity of trucks and hence easy to transport.
- Sizes and weights of tower members to be transported are less when compared with tubular steel poles.
- Extremely flexible scheduling on a building site, with many jobs of work performed parallel.
- Erection of lattice towers can be carried out using gin poles or floating derricks where crane erection is not possible.
- The lattice structure is highly transparent so that it has a lesser effect on the landscape.
- Optimum ecological balance thanks to the galvanized steel structure and small concrete foundations (savings in terms of raw materials; both tower and foundations can be recycled).